Family Night is an event that takes place every 2nd Sunday at L’s parents’ house. Each of L’s sister’s and her mother prepare part of a dinner, usually divided between the main course, a salad or vegetable entree, side dishes, dessert, and drinks. Whomever is main dish decides what theme the dinner will be. The main dish sister decided on black bean corn sweet potato enchiladas, so Mexican it was! This month, we are responsible for the salad/vegetables. Salsa and guacamole have vegetables in them, so they count, right?
Fire Roasted Tomato and Green Chile Salsa
Serves 10 to 12.
- One 28 ounce can of organic whole peeled tomatoes (Muir Glen Organic)
- One 14.5 ounce can of organic diced fire roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen Organic)
- One 4 ounce can of diced green chiles (La Preferida)
- Two organic limes, juiced
- Four organic garlic cloves, minced
- One half of a organic sweet yellow onion, diced
- Two fresh organic jalapeños, diced
- One cup organic cilantro, chopped (we left ours on the side because one of L’s sister’s has an aversion to cilantro)
- One teaspoon of cumin
- One tablespoon of crushed red pepper
- And salt to taste!
Pulse in food processor to desired consistency. Voila!
L’s Ass Kicking Homemade Guacamole!
Serves 10 to 12.
- 6 organic avocados, mashed
- 2 organic garlic cloves, minced
- 1 organic jalapeño, minced
- 1/4 cup organic sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup organic cilantro, chopped (again, we left ours on the side because one of L’s sister’s has an aversion to cilantro)
- 2 organic limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup organic tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- One dash (or a couple) cayenne pepper
- One pinch of crushed red pepper
- And salt to tase!
Mix together and enjoy!