Months ago, when the unbearable Oklahoma sun was beating down on us, L starting craving broccoli cheddar soup. Once the temperature dropped below 70 for more than a few hours, we knew it was time. Luckily for us, that same week organic broccoli appeared at the farmers market. It was meant to be.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 2 cups goat milk
- 2 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 8 ounces of cheddar cheese, shredded
- a dash of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large sauce pot, melt 1/4 cup of butter down over medium heat. Once melted, stir in the flour to make a gluten free roux! Continue whisking constantly for 3 minutes until it becomes a deep golden brown.
2. Add the stock to the roux. Mix in the goat milk. Allow the pot to reach a boil and then drop it to a simmer for 25 minutes.
3. While the base of your soup is going, prepare your veggies. In a medium sauté pan, melt a tablespoon of butter. Sauté the onions and garlic until fragrant and translucent, set aside. Julienne your carrots and chop your broccoli.
4. After the pot has reached a boil, dump in all of your delicious veggies. Stir and allow to simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. At this point, the delicious smell should be overwhelming. Bear with us. Toss in your spices, sprinkle in your shredded cheese, season with salt & pepper, and whisk to fully combine. For our soup, we used a jalapeño peppercorn cheddar cheese. It added a kick ass flavor, and who doesn’t love some delicious local cheese? Once the cheese has melted, it is finally time to scoop your soup into the biggest bowls you can find.
Don’t forget some (gluten free) bread for dipping and dunking!