Ever since L and M have ‘gone local’, we’ve really been pushing ourselves to homemake anything and everything we can. We buy a ridiculous amount of carrots, and we hated to see those tops go to waste. It turns out, you can make pesto with them! Conveniently enough, we had just made an extra special purchase the previous day. A new KitchenAid food processor! So here we go.
- greens (we used the tops of the carrots we bought at the farmers market)
- nuts (we used our roasted salted cashews)
- cheese (we recommend a hard, italian style cheese), diced
- salt, pepper, and herbs
1. To avoid jamming your food processor, rough cut all your greens. Pulse in the food processor until finely chopped.
2. Add in nuts and cheese. Pulse again until thoroughly mixed.
3. Drizzle in EVOO while running the processor. Continue adding in oil until your pesto has reached the desired consistency. L recommends leaving it a bit thicker if it will be used as a spread, or adding in more oil if it is going to be used as a sauce.
4. Throw in a jar and voila!