This month for Family Night, L and M were dessert. M had been craving key lime pie, so even though it was more of a french themed night, L made it for her anyway. A sweet for the sweetie from a sweetie, no?
- 2 cups gluten free cookies or grahams, crumbled (L made brown butter pecan cookies with almond flour that worked perfectly.)
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup organic butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoon organic lime zest
- 1/2 cup organic lime juice
- 2 local egg yolks
- 1 14 ounce can organic sweetened condensed milk
Preheat oven to 350*F/176*C
1. Mix cookie/graham crumbs with melted butter and sugar until evenly combined. The mixture will be crumbly, but should stick together easily. Press into a pie pan, making sure to get the crust evenly spread on the bottom and sides. Bake the crust for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly while you prepare the filling.
2. Combine lime zest, lime juice, egg yolks, and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl. Beat on medium-high with a hand/stand mixer until smooth and creamy.
3. Pour filling into par-baked pie crust and bake for 15 minutes, or until no longer jiggly. When the pie is done, remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before placing in the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour.
Enjoy this pie as is or top with whipped cream and extra lime zest!