And you also have a pizza. That is true love right there. While M was away at work, L (being inspired by our waffled blueberry muffins) remembered that pizza muffins were a thing. She came up with this incredible gluten free wholly homemade recipe. Buon appetito!
Makes six pizza muffins.
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch (not flour)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour/starch (it’s the same thing)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon herbs de provence
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 cup flax milk
- 1 local pasture-raised
- shredded cheese
- crispy (organic grass-fed) bacon, crumbled
- organic bell peppers, sautéed
- jalapeños, sautéed (from M’s mom’s garden)
We used what we had on hand for the pizza ‘toppings’ (or rather, fillings) so feel free to substitute or add whatever you would like.
Marinara Sauce for dipping (homemade):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 organic tomatoes, cored and diced
- 2 teaspoons organic tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
Preheat oven to 375*.
1. Mix dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add in cheese, bacon, peppers, and jalapeños. Stir to combine.
2. Whisk egg and milk together in separate bowl. Mix into dry ingredients. Let sit for 10 minutes. Mix again and divide into greased muffin cups.
3. Cook pizza muffins for 25 to 30 minutes.
We are extremely impatient and hungry and salivating at the smell.
A trick to brown the muffins is to brush a little bit of oil on the top for the last five minutes. Perfection!
4. Heat oil over medium heat in medium sauce pan. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Throw in tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika, vinegar, salt & pepper. Cook over medium low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Blend with immersion (stick) blender until desired consistency. Mix in the basil and mwuah!
5. Pour marinara sauce into a bowl, free your pizza muffins from the tin, and dunk into blissful ooey gooey deliciousness.