L and M were in the mood for a savory waffle. We just picked some cherry tomatoes, basil, and jalapeños from M’s mother’s garden. We got some really delicious cheese from the farmers market last week. Looking in the fridge, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to try out a margherita pizza inspired waffle.
- waffle mix
- a handful of basil leaves (about 6 or 7), chiffonade
- 1/4 cup Italian style cheese, shredded (we used Lovera’s Aged Caciocavera, a local cheese)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add in jalapeño and garlic and sauté until fragrant. Place tomatoes in pan, cut-side down, and cook until softened.
2. Prepare waffle mix according to package instructions. Stir in basil and pour into a preheated waffle maker. Sprinkle your cheese on top and cook to desired doneness.
3. When waffles are ready, move to a plate and top with tomato mix. Salute!