Biscuits and gravy are up there on our list of favorite breakfasts, but not everyone has the time to make some biscuits, and you know how much we love making one thing into a waffle thing.
- waffle mix
- gorgonzola, crumbled
- fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- pork breakfast sausage (we used Applegate Naturals Breakfast Sausage links, diced)
- 1 fresh jalapeño, small dice
- 1 tablespoon organic butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose gluten free flour (we just use Pamela’s baking & waffle mix for this)
- 1 1/2 cups milk (flax milk all the way)
- salt & black pepper, to taste
- a couple local pasteur raised eggs, fried anyway you like
1. Heat a medium sized sauté pan over medium heat. Add your sausage and jalapeños, cook until sausage is browned. Throw in your tablespoon of butter and swirl it around. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and jalapeño mixture, stir until fully coated, and cook for about a minute. Pour in your milk and stir well to make sure there won’t be any lumps in your gravy. Season well with salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Continue to cook over medium heat until gravy has thickened, this should take about 5 minutes or so. Remove from heat and set that sucker aside for later.
2. Prepare your waffle mix according to package instructions. Stir in the gorgonzola crumbles and fresh rosemary. Cook to desired doneness in your waffle maker and plate when finished.
3. If you like eggs on your waffles (and really, who doesn’t?), you can cook those while your waffles are sizzling away in that iron. We love to top our waffles with a nice over-medium fried egg. Trust us, runny yolk + waffles = perfection.
4. Now that you have your waffles on a plate, top them with your homemade sausage gravy, and don’t forget that perfectly fried egg. Grab a fork and revel in your hybrid creation.