Everyone has to be familiar with the Elvis Sandwich: peanut butter, banana, bacon, and honey. You love, we love, everyone loves it. The only issue with this sandwich is that M is allergic to bananas and, also, it isn’t a waffle. So while we were adjusting the recipe, L figured we should swap out the honey for some homemade anyone can make it caramel sauce. We hope this gets you all shook up.
- waffle mix
- crunchy organic peanut butter
- 3 strips of bacon
- 20 organic cherries
- 1/2 cup organic dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons organic butter
- 1/4 cup milk (You can use any type of milk you have on hand. Despite popular belief, it does NOT have to be heavy cream. We use flax milk for everything.)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
1. Cook the bacon, crispy. Crumble and set aside for waffles.
2. Making the caramel sauce. Add all ingredients to a medium sized sauce pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking gently every so often to make sure that everything is incorporated. Continue to boil for five to seven minutes or until caramel has thickened to desired consistency. Caramel will thicken more as it cools down. Remove from heat, and reserve to finish waffles.
3. Prepare your waffle mix. Stir in those bacon crumbles. Mmmhmmm. Cook waffles according to package instructions.
4. While waffles are cooking, let’s pit the cherries. If you have a fancy cherry pitter, by all means, use that. L doesn’t believe in buying a tool that can only be used for two foods on the entire planet, so we’ll stick with the old fashioned method. Remove stems from cherries. Using a chef knife, make a cut into the stem of the cherry to the pit. Gently press the knife blade to the side of the cherry, pinch the bottom, and pop out that cherry pit. Repeat. And repeat. Continue doing this until you have pitted all your cherries. Congratulations! Now set those aside as well. (You can throw your pits away unless you live in a place where you can plant and grow them, then please do so and send us some cherries when they bear fruit.)
5. Remove your waffles. Smear peanut butter, top with cherries, and coat with your homemade caramel sauce. Don’t be cruel, demolish those waffles you hound dog.
Thank you, thank you very much.