M has been begging L for almost a month now to make these taste alike cinnabon cinnamon rolls – that are gluten free (obviously) and way way healthier than the original. The only thing is that they are extremely labor intensive and time consuming, so while they are one of our favorite things to eat, they are not L’s favorite thing to make. M finally wore her down, we’ll be posting that recipe soon. We haven’t made them yet because now we have to find a yeast that we can buy. Fleischmann’s yeast is a Monsanto product, and that is almost always the only brand of yeast sold in a regular grocery store. We haven’t had a chance to stop by Sprouts or Whole Foods to buy some yeast, but we should be in business in a few days. Until then, this is what L came up with to curb M’s cinnamon roll craze.
This recipe makes four waffles. Normally we only have one each, but we wanted to gorge ourselves, okay? If you are not throwing your dignity out the window, like we did this morning, just cut the recipe in half to make two waffles.
- waffle mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
Cinnamon Sugar Glaze
- 2 tablespoons organic butter
- 2 tablespoons organic dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons organic butter
- 2 tablespoons organic cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons organic powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- and a splash of flax milk (if you want your icing thicker, you can skip this step)
1. Prepare your waffle mix, adding in the vanilla extract and the cane sugar. Cook your waffles.
2. Melt butter and brown sugar in the microwave for 45 to 60 seconds. Stir to dissolve sugar into butter, add in cinnamon. Reserve.
3. Melt butter and cream cheese in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds. Stir to combine. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Heat for an additional 15 seconds, and then add in the milk if necessary.
4. Get your waffles on a plate. Drizzle with cinnamon sugar glaze, smother with cream cheese icing, and do your best not to go into a happiness coma over how delicious these waffles are. Have a great breakfast!